Friday, February 25, 2011

Hawaii: Part Two

Fast forward to Feb. 4th ... Nicole had a rheumatology appointment (this in itself is another post) but it was a day where everything that could go wrong did go wrong.
I was expecting one of Nicole's medicine to arrive UPS and I had told the pharmacy that I wouldn't be home and to have UPS leave it with no signature. I get home from Nicole's dr. appointment and there's a label from UPS saying they came by and will try again on Monday  I had to call the pharmacy because we would be in Hawaii on Monday. They called UPS and I was told I would have to pick up the package myself if I wanted it. UPS called and let's just say the lady shouldn't be dealing with the public as she wasn't pleasant. She told me that I had to pick it up between 7:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. that evening. I told her I wanted no signature as I knew I wasn't going to be home and she told me it was against their policy to leave medicine with no signature. I said they have done it for a year with no problem. I was suppose to get a travel letter for security and labels for Nicole's medicine from the other speciality pharmacy in the mail and didn't and had to call them. They had to send a courier from Ft. Lauderdale to give them to me who didn't come until 11:30 p.m. that night and we had to leave our house at 5:45 a.m. Thankfully, Rick stayed up and waited for him so I could go to bed.
Anyway, the big day arrived ...Nicole was very upset and didn't want to go because she didn't want to leave home.  We were greeted at OIA by a very new gentleman who pushed Nicole in the wheelchair and helped us get through security without any problems. We got through security and was at our gate at 7:30 a.m. for our 9:15 a.m. flight. The flight from OIA to DFW (Dallas) wasn't too bad. Nicole took some incredible pictures from the plane.She is an awesome photographer. There was snow on the ground in Dallas and it was cold and  it was also Super Bowl weekend and we had quite a few Steeler fans on the plane. We had a two hour layover in Dallas. We went to a charging station and charged Nicole's oxygen concentrator that she had used on the plane. We got lunch and boarded for the marathon flight to Honolulu. The flight attendant asked if they could start Nicole's O2 after take off to which I said "absolutely not" it will be started now and continue until she gets off. According to the flight attendant the script that I'm assuming the travel agency sent said it was non-continuous and I said her doctor would never had said that. I showed her the script that I had that said O2 24/7 but could be off of it for a few minutes at a time. Needless to say, they hooked her up. Nicole and I had seats on one side of the plane and Rick's seat was a couple rows back on the other side. He said something about it to the lady he was sitting next too who told the flight attendant. In the middle row next to me there was a young couple who either were getting married in Hawaii or who had just gotten married. The flight attendant asked the lady if she would move to the seats in the next row that were against the bathroom but she said "no, because they didn't recline". I would have liked to slap the attitude right out of her. The flight attendant asked if Nicole and I would be willing to move. The flight attendant said to the lady that he would remember her when he came around with the beverage cart and she said "I brought my own". The gentleman sitting behind them helped me get down our carryon bag and Nicole's O2 concentrator and then the flight attendant had to come over and carry the O2 tank behind her. I must say I had some not very nice thoughts about this lady. All was well though and we sat on the runway waiting for a connecting flight that was late. I will stop here as this is long again and post another segment later.

No comments:

Post a Comment