Friday, December 9, 2011

Insurance/SSI etc.

I finally was able to get through to Medicaid regarding the notice I received in the mail last week.  I did get confirmation that her Medicaid associated with her SSI will begin on Jan. 1st., 2012 .  I am very happy about this. 

My concerns are the same as they were with the five week months.  It looks like my husband will have to take those weeks off without pay so she will not lose her benefits.  This also concerns me but it will be better than having no insurance at all.

I will be on the phone next week with Florida KidCare who she has insurance with now to let them know that she will not be needing it after Dec. 31st and hopefully the premium that I paid for January they will reimburse me for. 

The bigger issue is the benefits.  I was given a number for Medicaid Options and I can call them and find out what insurance company is used, what durable medical equipment company is used for her oxygen, what speciality pharmacy is used as two of her medications are restricted and they are delivered to my door, I also need to know where she can get her labwork done. I had to go back to Labcorp with FKC (kid care) and I dislike them very much and would like to go back to the hospital and have it done. 

I hope that I will not have to go through all the headaches that I did before. I think that as long as I have the same speciality pharmacy I should be good.  If I have to use a different pharmacy I will go through her local doctor as it will be done in a more timely manner.  I will need to get new scripts. 

I know it will take awhile for me to learn the system and figure everything out.  I will go back over my notes from talking to FKC and the insurance company and get a list of questions that I need to ask and have them written down for Medicaid Options. 

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Jane. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, It sounds like you have a great plan and found a solution to the 5 weeks in a month problem (I'm sorry you'll have to lose that money but you found a solution that will be the best for Nicole). It's amazing how creative caregivers have to be in order to juggle benefits, etc.! You're such a wonderful advocate, Jane. I admire your ability to juggle everything. Have a great weekend and hope you're able to join the carechat tomorrow night.

    Trish
    www.robertssister.com
    caregiving. family. advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish:

    Thank you so much for your kind words. I must tell you I am so tired of juggling everything all of the time with no help. I ask for help with decisions like something as minor as should we buy a bigger tank for Nicole's turtle and get no feed back once so ever and just get attitude. I sometimes think I would do better on my own.

    Hugs:o)
    Jane~mom to Nicole, 17 yo, VSD, PAH, Eisenmengers, BHJS
    "If you don't like something change it, if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

    ReplyDelete